Saturday, April 14, 2012

Product review...Sun Flour Mills Pastry flour...

I received my free box of whole grain gluten free pastry flour from Sun Flour Mills just in time for a family visit. Everyone likes some kind of pie and my family's favorite is apple. I was kind of leery about making a gluten free pie crust as this was my first try for a wheat free pastry and I didn't want to disappoint my family, yet at the same time I wanted to be able to enjoy dessert right along with them.
I followed the recipe on the back of the box except that I needed to double the recipe for the crust for the apple pie and the recipe on the box is only for a one crust and  obviously for such fillings as pudding, as the directions called for the crust to be pre-baked by itself...Seeing as I didn't have a choice of it being the last minutes for preparing for family  I was going to have to give it a try.
I followed the box's directions using corn syrup in place of the agave nectar ( it gave me a choice of the two ) and everything went seemingly well.
Please note that when adding the water do exactly as the directions say adding only 1/2 teaspoon of water at a time as you will be amazed at what just 1/2 teaspoon will do to the mix.
I rolled the dough between the sheets of sprayed foil and placed in the refrigerator for the required length of time.
I found that when trying to place the dough in the pie pan I had a hard time getting the foil off the dough even though I had sprayed the foil with a non stick spray as per the directions. I think the next time I will try parchment paper and see if that does the trick. I also might stick the rolled dough in the freezer instead of the refrigerator for about half the time called for.
I  put the apples in the bottom unbaked shell and added the top shell. I once again had some trouble getting the foil off the dough and had to fill in a few spots with left over "edge dough". I made a few slits in the top crust for the apples to vent and put in the oven.
I must say that even with the few drawbacks of the dough sticking to the foil and the refrigeration time this was a excellent tasting pie crust. It was so soft and flaky with a great taste. Although I give it 4 Stars for the way the dough stuck I have to give it 5 Stars for the flakiness and taste. It is one of the best pie crusts I have ever eaten, and well worth the extra time to make. My family loved it and asked for seconds!

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...