Monday, May 23, 2016

Chicken breasts with lemon butter....Winner..Winner..Chicken dinner!

                                                                           


Today is one of those days when I am really not in the mood to cook. I have been through so much this past year as you well know if you have read any of my recent posts. I need quick and easy, as I want to be in and out of the kitchen as quickly as possible today. After trimming branches off trees that overhung our driveway this past week, mowing the lawn, planting flowers, and  various other yard work, I just want a light, quick, easy dinner so I can then prop my feet up while sitting on a lawn chair, and enjoy the fruits of my labor. Heck....I might even set the patio table and enjoy my dinner while listening to the wind chimes as I enjoy the quiet of the evening.

So after just munching on some lemon gummy bears, a thought occurred....Why not something with lemon in it. I love the smell of lemon, it somehow seems to lift my spirits, so off to the cupboard to my vast array of cookbooks and recipes to start my searching. Lemon butter chicken breasts....Quick. Easy. Enough said, chicken it is. Thank goodness I always have a selection of frozen meats in my freezer to choose from so I definitely have what I need.

Years ago, three to be exact, I had planted some lemon seeds.  Although they have never actually produced any lemons as to date, hope springs eternal. SOMEDAY, as Tom Cruise repeatedly says in the movie Knight and Day. The only problem being is that our living in a state where we have snow in the winter months  I can't plant the trees in the ground, so they are outside during the warmer month's then inside during the winter months......I keep hoping. However, if you do rub the leaves between your fingers you can actually smell the lemon from the oils. SOMEDAY!!!

Well as promised here is the recipe.

Chicken breasts with Lemon butter:

6 medium boneless chicken breast halves, about 1  1/2 pounds
1/2 cup GF  all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
1/3 cup unsalted butter
2 lemons, washed and sliced
2 T lemon juice

Directions:

Mix the flour, salt, and the lemon pepper seasoning in a shallow bowl.
Place each chicken breast half between two pieces of plastic wrap. Pound then lightly until about 1/4 inch thick. Coat each piece in the flour mixture on both sides.

Melt the butter in a large skillet. Cook the chicken breasts in the hot melted butter, half at a time, over medium high heat for about 3 minutes on each side until brown and no longer pink. Remove the chicken from skillet onto a clean platter and cook the remaining pieces the same way, removing to the platter when cooked.

Add the lemon slices to the skillet, cooking for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned turning only once. Return all of the chicken to the skillet, overlapping the pieces slightly. Drizzle the lemon juice over the chicken breasts. Cook for approximately 2-3 more minutes more or until the pan juices are slightly reduced.

This is delicious served over cooked rice or quinoa, or even pasta. Makes about 6 servings. It actually turned out delicious as I had anticipated, and I did enjoy a very nice dinner on the patio listening to the sounds of nature.....Mmmmmmm, maybe a nap is in order about now!.

As always, I hope you enjoy.
Sharon




 

No comments:

Buckwheat - Gluten Free -- Grass Free

 Buckwheat, which is actually not in the wheat family at all, has somehow gotten a bad rap over the years. I personally have avoided it basi...